Known for being a powerhouse packed with folate and protein and low in calories. These Legumes have earned their name on the charts for being the third highest level of protein because the protein in them makes up 26% of the calories that people consume.
As a staple food, I personally enjoy them alone or paired with other foods because my Iron levels drop if I don’t keep enough Iron stored in my body. Not only are Lentils delicious but they are great for the digestive, nervous and immune system.
It is said that they derive from the Middle East over 13,000 years ago. From Syria to Turkey are different countries that cultivated this legumes. However, at that point in time, the Middle East was still part of the continent of Africa but formerly known as Aethiopia (Ethiopia).
Please Enjoy this recipe made with love!
1 cup dried Lentils
1/2 Red Onion
4 tbls chopped cilantro
1 tbls Sea Salt
4 cups water
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp Basil
- Soak cleaned lentils for an hour
- Sautee chopped onions in skillet with oil of choice approx. 2 minutes
- Add cilantro. Cook 1 minute
- Add Spices and lentils in pan. Stir
- Add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer about an hour covered.